Tuesday, January 20, 2009

And, she's back

Project baby has officially ended. My fibroids. The precarious state of my marriage to a chronic depressive. My crazy-ass job. All have led to an appointment today to get back on the pill. I am over being sad about it, and will just feel relieved to not have to deal with heavy, heavy, insanely heavy monthly bleeding and the attendant restless leg squirminess and obsessive ice crunching because of anemia. 

So.

In the months that I was trying to become a baby mamma, my weight crept up slightly. Already before the holidays, I knew I needed to do something about it, but waited until after the trip to the in-laws to get serious.

Over the break, I read a book that a friend recommended, and have switched to a diet that I'm calling vegan when it makes sense to eat vegan. I've been at it for a couple of weeks, and so far so good.

I was vegan for a couple of years in the early nineties, and it was crazy hard back then. I've had no trouble eating at restaurants, or shopping in a regular grocery store. And the recipes in the vegan cookbooks are so much better now. Not about trying to fake it, but about making really good dishes that happen to not have any animal products in them.

Will I be a pain in the ass when I'm invited to someone's house with this vegan thing? No. I will eat what is served. Will it kill me if I eat something that has fish stock? No. If I decide that I want to go eat some smoked brisket, or sushi, will I feel guilty? No.

I started working out at a gym again. Taking it easy. Three times a week. Have been doing 30 minutes each visit for the last couple of weeks, but am bumping it up to 45 this week, and am feeling about ready to take a spinning class. Right now, I'm just doing cardio, since I'm trying to get my weight back down into the 150s. I'll eventually add some weight training, but don't want to do that while I am trying to lose. That will just lead to extreme frustration. 

I haven't done yoga in a million years. Want to get that back into the mix at least once a week, though I'm thinking it will probably have to be home practice, with an occasional visit on the weekend to a studio just to make sure I'm on track with form.

I've got to update my list of links. It looks like quite a few people I used to read are no longer at it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl!

So sorry the baby project didn't go as planned. I wish I had something profound and meaningful to say, but I fear saying (unintentionally)something stupid, so just know how sorry I am.

Good for you for getting back into the exercise and vegan thing. I, too slipped over the holidays and gained about 8 pounds, but I'm getting my groove back (slowly).

Glad you are back!! =)

11:47 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I'm so happy you're back!!

What was the book that you made mention to? I've been moving towards a more vegan diet for a while now and I feel so much better (physically) because of it. But I feel very much like you do as far as incorporating into real life.

1:25 PM  
Blogger LME said...

Thanks for the welcome.

And it's all for the best that the baby project didn't go as planned, Jill. If things don't turn around signficantly in the next six months, I could be single again, and I have no interest in being a single mother.

Kim, the book I read was The China Study. Picked it up and Barnes and Noble and it was 20% off. I'd been leaning to a pretty much vegetarian diet for a while, but reading that study convinced me that I was consuming way, way too much dairy. I've been using plain Silk in my cereal and tea and coffee, and for cooking and don't even notice a difference in taste.

In general, after being at this for only a couple of weeks, I already feel leaner, even it it's not showing up on the scale yet.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I read the China Study for the first time a couple of years ago and that's when I started to slowly shift my diet. I'm in my second reading of it now and getting so much more out of it the second time. I've been off dairy (mostly) for a year and feel so much better. :)

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home