Wednesday, January 09, 2008

To Run or Not to Run

The scale had not budged this morning. I know that by next week I'll probably be down in the 160's, but I want it now, right now!

Anyone watch the Biggest Loser last night? I was surprised at how surprised the trainers were that people had such low numbers at the end of the second week. I know they anticipated a slowdown; it always happens, but there were lots of people who lost only 1 pound, or nothing, and poor Mallory actually gained a pound. They were all eating according to their plans, all working out as hard as they could in the gym.

The body, it is stubborn, and sometimes it just doesn't want to let go of that weight, no matter what you do.

Anyway, I'm headed back to the gym tonight for the first time since right before Christmas. I'd just completed week 4 of Couch to 5K.

But that was before I got back into yoga.

Now, I'm wondering about running. I definitely want to build cardio strength, because I will need it for yoga, especially when I start adding in Anusara classes. But spending all this time in yoga focusing on alignment and form and balance has made me question the wisdom of pounding away at my joints while running. It seems counterproductive.

I haven't decided for sure, and probably won't until I get to the gym tonight, but I may very well just power walk on the treadmill, which I do enjoy, or do the elliptical.

And speaking of running, I was perusing comments about the story on the ABC News Web site about Hillary Clinton's win in New Hampshire (I am very conflicted about her, but was happy that all the yappy media folks were wrong, wrong wrong), and there was a Hillary hater (an Obama supporter) on there who called her fat. It was another woman. I'm still mad after reading it. I should really stay away from the comments sections on ABC News, for my own sanity.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I have no doubt that you will be into the 160's very very very soon!! :)

6:43 PM  
Blogger Grumpy Chair said...

I saw the first hour and I am not surprised the weight loss was drastically less. I read somewhere that right before the first weigh-in, many of the contestants drink tons of water so their starting weight is higher.


I would love to become a runner, but I'm holding off until I lose some weight and am closer to my goal. Right now I fear knee injury.

I also would like to take the beginning yoga class at the Y, I have never been to a yoga class before and hope I don't look like an idiot.

I certainly don't think Hilary is fat, but then again, I didn't think Britney Spears looked fat on her "come back" performance.

Hope you enjoyed the gym.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home