Monday, January 07, 2008

Falling Weight

This morning, I was down half a pound.

So, since I decided I needed to lose some weight back in early December (The 4th was the day of reckoning, when I got on the scale after not having weighed myself in about 9 months), I've lost 13.5 lbs.

That's a lot for one month, and I know it. I also feel it slowing down. I'm still losing, but my body is holding on a bit longer than it was before letting go of the pounds and half pounds. It will stay the same for several days, and then lurch down, and then back up a little, and finally back down to hold for a few more days before moving downward again.

I think that I have lost relatively quickly because I gained it so quickly. I started my new job about 4 months ago, and that's when I started eating a lot more (stress) and couldn't fit exercise in.

I'd have, for example, after having eaten cereal for breakfast at home, a tall skim latte from Starbucks, often along with some little treat, which might have been a muffin or a little fruit plate with cheese. I stopped doing that on December 5. If I have a skim latte, that IS breakfast, not in addition to. Otherwise, if I've had breakfast at home, it's black coffee, or coffee with skim milk if my stomach isn't in the mood for black.

For lunch, I'd get a sandwich from this place across the street. They're big sandwiches, like as big as your head. I would eat the whole thing. And then I'd usually have some fruit salad, a large one, which is about 2 cups. And the eating was like a cartoon beaver sawing through a log. Now I either get a cup of soup and some fruit salad, or I eat half of the giant sandwich, which is plenty enough to fill me up, and save the other half for the next day, and I'll get the small fruit salad. No cookies or other sweets either, which I was also eating along with lunch, as a dessert.

I was going to the little candy dispenser in the office, the one that gives you a small handful of dark chocolate-covered almonds for a quarter. I was hitting that two or three times a day. I have cut that out completely.

And then for dinner, the Husband and I were going out for dinner most nights. I ordered anything that I wanted. I usually woudn't eat it all, but it often wasn't the healthiest thing I could have ordered, and I was ordering things that really should be once in awhile treats, and not on someone's regular everyday menu. Steak frites, anyone? That has also stopped. We go out maybe once or twice on the weekend now. And I order carefully and make sure that I don't feel like I need to clean my plate. We had been splitting desserts almost every time we went out too, so I quit doing that. If he wants something, and I want a bite, I'll have one. But not half of the thing.

And I had been drinking a lot. A lot of wine. A couple of glasses when eating out. Meeting friends at least once a week for drinks. Drinking at the office with the Mad Men.

That's out now.

And I started running again, though have yet to get back to that. I'm in pretty hardcore yoga mode right now, but I'm getting antsy to get back to the cardio, so this week, maybe tomorrow, I'll hit the gym. Am doing another Iyengar class tonight.

So that's how it's come off so quickly. It hasn't been around that long. And I stopped doing what was putting it on before I got too far along.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I gotta say that's pretty amazing! Talk about taking the bull by the horns, you go girl!! I'm not so much into yoga but I would love to be. It's hard right now, I'm going good to just run 3 days a week. I may have to find some yoga time though at least a couple times a week. As I said before, you rock!

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home