Monday, December 17, 2007

Re: The Starbucks Gingerbread Scone

Debbi commented on the last post that she'd read on several blogs about the notorious Starbucks gingerbread scone. I eyeballed one this morning as I waited in line. And I started looking at all the treats there in the case.

Here's the dealio about Starbucks sweeties: they always look good, but taste, when I've indulged in the past, has been rather like sugared cardboard. The naming is what hooks you. Who wouldn't drool at the thought of a pepperment mocha? A sticky toffee muffin? But really and truly, bleah. Every single time I've actually eaten one, or ordered something decadent sounding, it's always been a huge disappointment and I get mad at myself for having wasted the calories that I could have spent on, I don't know, real food? Or a nice dessert somewhere good.

Tempting they still are, for sure. Just have to keep reminding myself the way that stuff tastes. I'm sure as hell not going to bust out here with "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." Warm homemade chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk. That tastes better than thin feels. I'll save my discretionary calorie fund for something like that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cowgirl Warrior said...

I so agree with you on the starbucks bakery, they always disappoint. The one and only time I had a really great muffin was in a Kelowna BC Starbucks as their pastries were supplied by a local bakery.

Props to a chocolate chip cookie and a glass of milk.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

So glad to find you are blogging here again though not glad you are dealing with anything that makes you unhappy. I know that is life but I would wish it otherwise.
The sbux pastries do suck the big one, very disappointing but always tempting. I imagine it may be like sex with a model.
I have a recipe for homemade cocoa mix and marshmallows that I'm going to try-not THAT looks worth the calories.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Debbi said...

Nice to know I'm really not missing anything. I used to love, love, love Starbucks cinnamon scones, but my memory now is that they were kind of mealy and dry, unless you dunked them in a latte. Heh.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home