Tuesday, December 18, 2007

It's a Gym, Not a Nightclub

For the second C to 5K workout in a row (I've got one more to go for Week 4), someone reeking of perfume and/or heavily scented deodorant or man froufrou has planted her/himself next to me on the adjacent treadmill about halfway through my "run" and caused me to have a mild asthma attack. My options when this happens are to move to another machine if one's available (and usually there aren't), or have to tough it out.

It's infuriating and I hate these people and burn holes in them with the ol' stinkeye as I'm wheezing along.

It's the gym, yo. You're not supposed to smell like roses.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I've had people get on a treadmill next to me and proceed to fling bodily fluids (hopefully just sweat, though eww still) and I would always have to move. That's not as bad as affecting your breathing though, perhaps you should say something to them, if they get mad so what? It might be bothering others too, not that I advocate hurting feelings left and right but it could be a cruel kindness. Kickass on the couch to 5k program, I don't think I ever made it past week 2 before my knee would start complaining loudly. Not sure why, it's not like I was athletic in a past life or anything.

6:38 PM  
Blogger LME said...

I wish the gym would post some kind of public service announcement. There was actually a sign in the locker room at my old gym about it. I'm sure it doesn't even occur to the pepe le peus that they're bothering anyone. There's a suggestion box. I think I might drop a note in when I go tomorrow.

I'm hoping I can hold out and get all the way through the program. I did it once before when I was going to run a charity 5K but then ended up getting the flu the weekend before and was out of commission and then never got back into it after I got better.

I have creaky knees, but what seems to be bothering me the most this time is actually my hip. My right knee was kind of flaring up a couple of weeks ago, and it settled down. I'm hoping the hip does the same. I don't think I'm going to be able to workout during Christmas week, so I'll have a rest whether I want one or not.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home